Saturday, February 4, 2012

Home and School

Feb 4,2012
Here are a couple photos at my school. From the street all you see is a wall with a garage size wooden door and the number eleven. Inside is a beautiful yard with many trees and flowers. Each teacher and pupil has a plastic table with chairs and an umbrella.The office has a little computer lab, and a kitchen as well as a business area. Quite an experience. This week I am required to change teacher (apparently for my own good) so next week I start with Luz-Maria, a tiny tiny lady who wears bright colorful scarves, shawl style around her neck.
Here are two of my house mates. Wiebke from Germany and Kathy from Toronto, are eating traditional Guatemalan enchiladas, with cabbage, beets, hard boiled eggs and onions. Like many foods around here, they are seasoned with lime juice.
This is Tobi, the undisputed king of our casa. He's a little squirt but can make quite a racket if a cat comes over the roof and into our space. He keeps the floor clear and prefers chicken over bread or vegetables.

News of Casa Jackson

1.The biggest news at Casa this week was the passing of one of our children, Frank. He was only with us for a week, but our hearts were well entangled with the hope of his return to health. If you friend Casa Jackson on Facebook, you can read quite a bit about him from Amy,our fearless leader.

2.Guadelupe has gained a whole pound! The difference between a 2 lb baby and a 3 pounder is substantial. The wrinkles in her face are being replaced by cute little cheeks. She is still difficult to feed and still needs to be on the warmer sometimes, but she is learning to suck pretty well and she sure can make noise if she feels the need.

3.We have a new baby, Manuel, who had Down Syndrome. He is really underweight, and quite listless. He prefers to sleep the day away. I believe he is 9 mo old but cannot hold up his head or play with his hands. He needs our work and YOUR prayers.

4. Alberto, Ceasar, Julio and Ismael are our 4 caballeros, all between 19 mo and 3 years. Feeding them is a comedy every single night. Alberto feeds himself pretty well, Ceasar would like to feed himself and gets some food in his mouth (picture frijoles, scrambled eggs and tomato sauce) Ismael could probably feed himself  but prefers the attention of being fed and Julio totally refuses to eat unless you choke it down him. It takes one nurse to feed Julio and me to tend to the other 3. Then we have 4 babes waiting to be bottle fed (quite impatiently for the most part.) Henri, Angelica, Guadelupe, and Manuel. Then everyone gets a new diaper before I go home for supper. No wonder I sink my body so joyfully into the chair at my casa!

Life in Antiqua


Here is a self portrait taken this morning to prove I am alive and well and don't have any visible diseases. My pants are a little looser and I may need to buy a belt soon. I think my face is thinner as well because after my shower you can see new vertical wrinkles in my lower cheeks. (Covered by a bit of powder for the pic.)

Wiebke and 2 friends were robbed Thursday evening at gunpoint. They are fine but handed over their bags and their jackets as requested. Most robberies around here involve knives as weapons and feet as getaway vehicles.These guys took off on a motorcycle.

Then on Friday at 1 PM, a bank in the market area was held up at gunpoint. A guard shot and killed one robber. Another robber shot the guard in the arm and a female customer. They are both expected to recover. Two robbers got away on a motorcycle but there are video pix of them and they will likely be caught. This is actually uncommon for Antiqua. There are lots of minor thefts but seldom does anyone get hurt. I think it is a bit coincidental that these guys seem to match the description of the bandits who held up W and her friends.

I continue to be very careful, to walk only in daylight, and to be very aware and cautious of my surroundings. The country is very beautiful and the people are exceptionally kind and friendly. I love to stroll and visit ruins and gardens, to speak Spanish with the ladies in tipica skirts, and to watch the street musicians. What a good life... and I don't for a mini-moment miss the snow or cold weather!   XOXO Noanie Mom

No comments: