Sunday, January 1, 2012

What are you going to do?

Twelve days and counting down ! I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I was in Saint Paul for Thanksgiving, Sioux Falls for Christmas, and have spent the last 4 days packing up to make room for John and his stuff to move in today. I am now close friends with the garbage men and the guys that unload donations at Dakota Boys Ranch. One of these days I will have to consider what I am going to pack to take along with me.


In the meantime, I would like to answer the question I seem to hear most often. "What are you going to DO for a whole year in Guatemala? "


1. The God's Child Project operates a home/hospital for malnourished infants and children called Casa Jackson. I have been there twice before to work for a few weeks at a time. The kids need feeding, bathing, diaper changes, rocking, and basic love and attention. Some of them are hard to hold because they are so skinny that they seem to be all bones. Some have to be coaxed to eat because food hurts their tummies after being so long without. Some have medical problems; some are abandoned. Last March, I was there when a painfully thin little boy was brought in. He was literally on the brink of death. Since he was in isolation and was difficult to feed, he and I spent many hours together. I hoped for a smile before I had to come home to the US. I never got one, but before I left he lifted his arms in that universal gesture that says "Pick me up." Today he is smiling, coloring, and learning to walk and talk. Here he is in March and 6 mo later.




2.The God's Child Project also has an elementary school on the Dreamer Center site. I am hoping to do some work with the progrm to teach English. I even bought a book of little games ( like Duck, Duck, Goose) that encourage kids to make use of the language they are learning.


3. The Project also operates a Homeless Shelter and a School for older sudents. These often need help on paricular days or with  some projects. This picture is a staff member getting ready for supper at the Homeless shelter.




4. There are everyday activities like field trips and parties, and needs like helping in the lunch area or sorting donated clothing.Sometimes it is necessary to make home visits or go shopping for supplies.


5. Lastly, I am hoping to improve my Spanish, especially to get the grammar right so I can advance my level from that of "learner" to one of fluency. Hablo espanol.


5a. I am bringing my Kindle which is loaded with books, newspapersand magazine subscriptions.


5b. And maybe I'll do a bit of writing myself. :-)


I doubt boredom will be a problem... but loneliness might be So send me a message please and I will in turn try to keep up with posts and pictures, Have a great year,I'll be thinking of you.

1 comment:

Georgette said...

How rewarding this work must be for you! Seeing the pictures of that starving baby boy filled out and smiling 6 mos later turns the tears into smiles.