Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10,2012

This afternoon as I walked to the square to join Beth for lunch, I was awed by this view of clouds covering the volcano behind the Arch. This definitely is not Bismarck, or Kansas either; but it has a beautiful flavor all its own.

Yesterday evening, there were two events at Casa Jackson which gave me shivers. I will preface the first with a picture of Luis. He was vomiting worms at the beginning of the week, so he's currently confined to bed with an IV. (purple wrap on his arm.) He has been walking with help for a couple weeks and I want you to notice the flesh (muscle?) on his very thin legs!

I put him on a chair to feed him a blended concoction of pineapple and bananas and as we finished, I picked up his glass of juice. He reached for the glass, brought it to his mouth, slowly drank, then returned the glass to me with a huge grin. Here is a kid who was supposed to be helpless for life. We provide nothing more than life's very basic necessities and a dose of kindness. I keep meeting the least of His brothers at Casa Jackson.


This is a picture I took for "Day of the Woman" last week. These little women weigh 6, 4, and 2 pounds from left to right. They are Guadalupe, Andrea, and Brenda. All 3 came to CJ weighing right around 2 pounds. 

On Friday evening after finishing with Luis, I was given Brenda to feed. Within a few minutes, she looked up me with her mouth wide open and terror in her eyes and I realized she wasn't breathing. I thought she was choking and brought her head up, patted her back and ultimately tried some little chest thrusts (like a baby Heimlich) I sent a Canadian lady after the nurse, who came and immediately called an ambulance. We wrapped her up and several of us scooted downstairs as I started trying to give her breaths.  Ultimately, we sent her to the hospital in a tuc-tuc with another baby's mom because the tuc-tuc came by before the ambulance. I wish I could tell you what happened next but I can only promise to post it as soon as I can. The incident definitely reaffirms my belief that human life is sacred. She may be premature and underweight, but she is clearly human, was clearly scared, and worth every possible effort to assist her.

This is Jocelin. She is 14 months old and very suspicious of all of us. Her pretty face might make you overlook her frail body, but she clearly needs to be at CJ. Notice her thinning hair in front.

And below is Alberto, sacked out with his legs crossed. He gets special mention this week because he is going potty on the toilet! He has lived a whole year at Casa Jackson. He also proves that it is possible to go from a scared, starving child to an active and very busy 3 yr old.



This week I start teaching English for real.. I will spend 1 hr with the 2nd grade and 1 hour with the 3rd grade, Monday through Thursday.  This week will be introductions, numbers, and colors.... onward and upward.
Love to all in Blogland! Until next week. Noanie-Mom

No comments: