Monday, September 21, 2009

It Takes a Village


It was a great weekend in Bismarck, ND. Sometimes something happens to make things fall into place; the joys and tribulations of having children; and the fun of living in a global community. This picture is of a young lady I knew as a child. Angela played with my daughter and sometimes joined us to eat, sleep and travel. She was a rascal, a diplomat, and a caretaker herself. As she grew older, we were not in close touch but I heard she had joined the Peace Corps and was in the Dominican Republic.

This weekend I met her new husband and got a chance to catch up on her life. She is currently teaching Spanish and Enmanuel is working, learning English, and adapting to the USA.

As we caught up on each other's families, it occurred to me that one of the real joys of nurturing and parenting is to know the adults that grow from the children. Angie has real adult concerns about marriage and parenthood, expenses and living an international life. I assured her that both marriage and parenthood were well worth the effort,(in my opinion) and that there were people who would help, both family and friends. Life can be difficult and wonderful all in the same timespan.
Enough philosophic rhetoric........

On Saturday, I went to the downtown street fair and had great fun. I bought some yarn (of course) a combo 70/30 wool/bamboo in fall colors. It has a soft, pretty feel and just a slight sheen. Here is a sample swatch I knit last nite.


And I finished the little shawl sweater! Sewed that up during Sunday nite Law and Order. I am hoping it will fit Lucas. It was my first shawl collar.. and also quite an interesting texture.Here is a pic.

Tonite, it is back to work. Right now it is time to grab some lunch. Have a good week in Blogland. Noanie

No comments: