Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Surprising Patient


Sometimes I feel like there are few surprises left-- at least on the medical front. I've seem so many odd and crazy things that I begin the basics on auto-pilot.
This afternoon Lucy came up to my chair and her face was decidedly BLOODY. It took me only a sec to immobilize her with my knees to try to locate the source. I checked her teeth and eyes, then started looking through the fur on the side of her head. What was dripping was her ear-- or rather-- what was left of one. I tried putting pressure on it and managed to slow the bleeding several times, but then she shook her head and it would pour out again.

Grr-- and of course it is suppertime on a Saturday on a holiday weekend. I called Dr Mike's emergency number and he recommended putting a gauze on both sides of the ear stump and taping it back against her head, then wrapping around with an Ace Wrap. I seriously wondered which doc was in the ER at MC1 and whether they might help me. Ultimately I tried calling Eric (who was at Lake Tschida,) Andy (who was in Garrison) and Grace (who came right over.) Lucy sat quite still while we wrapped her wound and head. She now looks like a mummy.

So, I am wondering what on earth happened ??? She had not been outside for about 3 hours, and she had not barked or fussed at all. There is no blood on Bonnie's face or mouth-- and while there are dozens of puddles on the floor and carpet-- none is in any one spot where she could have gotten herself snagged or caught. Maybe I have yet to trip across it.

So-- now that all urgency has past-- I will sit with my tea and knitting-- and be thankful I have the dogs for excitement as well as company. I guess I am also thankful for lots of medical experience and a dozen odd classes as things seem to happen anywhere at anytime and it helps if you take care of it first-- then fall apart second.

Love etc, Noanie
Here is Lucy on a better day.

No comments: